Thursday, July 18, 2013

Action Research: A Definition and Reflection

This week, as part of my 5301 Research class, I have learned about what it means to complete action research.  At first, when I heard the term, I immediately began thinking about my experiences in middle school in the science fair and the scientific method.  Honestly, I was terrified, because I don't consider myself to be an expert in science.  After reading and synthesizing the information, though, I was able to talk myself off the proverbial ledge. 

Action research is simply an educational leader's way of improving things around him.  The process is cyclical and involves reflecting and analyzing.  From what I can see, one must reflect in order to know what is working and what might need work on his campus.  Based on his reflection and analysis of possible issues, a principal can then formulate questions to ponder for campus improvement.  I also have noted that this is not something that needs to be done in solitude.  Principals can create a group, or PLC, to engage in the action research project, and they can share with a cohort of other principals through meetings or blogs.  Action research is something that must be done on a regular basis, and because principals spend so much time reacting rather than acting, they must carve time out of their day for it.  

I am looking forward to my action research project, and while I was extremely concerned that I wouldn’t be able to come up with a topic when the class first started, I have been able to brainstorm six wonderings that could potentially all benefit my students.

1 comment:

  1. I was concerned also when I first heard the word "research" but when I realized that it was more of an inquiry I felt better. I also was having a hard time at first thinking of a topic, but after working with another student I was able to come up with a couple different ideas.

    ReplyDelete